The fairly recent rediscovery that Hellenistic astrology has led to a resurgence in the use of the the majority of Spirit by astrologers, yet up until now there has actually been no commonly agreed ~ above glyph or prize to usage in order to stand for this point in astrological charts or computer system programs.
You are watching: Circle with vertical line through it meaning
I would favor to rectify this instance by propose a certain design because that the prize that should be offered to represent the many Spirit. I have included picture of the symbol the I’m proposing to the left that this paragraph.
The prize is in reality pretty simple. That is simply a circle with a vertical line with it, with the line extending just a bit outside of the circumference of the circle. This is in reality the sans-serif, capitalized variation of the Greek letter ϕ / phi (usually pronounced together “fee”), and also essentially what I’m proposing right here is adopting this different of the Greek letter phi as the symbol for the most Spirit.
In Defense of the proposed Glyph
This is actually something I’ve been thinking about off and also on for a couple of years, and at this allude I think that I can make a pretty great case because that adopting this version of the Greek letter phi together the glyph because that the many Spirit. Right here are several of the key points of my argument:
1) every little thing glyph is adopted, it must be somewhat simple, and also ideally it would certainly be pretty if the was basic to draw by hand. Even if astrologers don’t typically calculate charts through hand anymore, I view the simplicity of the propose glyph to it is in one the points that it has going in that is favor.
3) The Greek letter phi is the first letter that the Greek word phos, which method “light”. As I pointed out a couple of years ago in my document on the seven Hermetic lots, whoever first came up through the calculations because that the many Fortune and the many Spirit appears to have actually wanted to associate the heart with the ide of light, and Fortune with the ide of darkness. This is probably due to different Platonic and Hermetic associations between the body and darkness, matches the heart or mind and light. These principles are embedded in the calculations the each lot is predicated on, and so it would certainly seem fitting to encompass this subtle reference to that an interpretation in the glyph for the most Spirit.
4) because phi is already a symbol the is combined into Unicode and also most keyboard layouts, it have to be fairly easy to use it or combine it into astrology software program programs. Even in instances when the glyph has not been integrated into the astrology font that software program programmers space using, they could simply usage the Unicode version of the Greek letter phi, and also that would certainly be a close sufficient approximation come the glyph.
5) modern astrologers such together Alan Oken frequently interpret the architecture of the astrological glyphs together having details symbolic meaning based on the forms they space composed of. Because some the the astrological glyphs were introduced from the alchemical heritage in the middle Ages, there is more than likely something come be stated for this approach. Indigenous a symbolic perspective i would offer this interpretation of the glyph that I’m proposing: The circle in the center represents the spirit, or the soul. The upright line with the center represents upwards or downwards movement, which can be taken to refer to the ascent and also descent the the soul through the planetary spheres, which a typical motif in Hellenistic and also Roman philosophical and spiritual traditions.
6) i realized after I began thinking about adopting this symbol because that the the majority of Spirit the it currently had a little of background behind it, because it was currently used as a placeholder in several of the beforehand Project possession translations to stand for the most Spirit. That was used in Schmidt and Hand’s translate in of book 2, part 1 that Valens’ Anthology in 1994, return they offered the serif variation of the letter phi, and also they didn’t describe their factors for utilizing this letter. Ns asked Hand about this recently and he claimed that that couldn’t recall whether there to be a certain reason why they provided that symbol for spirit, return he stated that that has ongoing to usage it due to the fact that then. As I researched this much more I remembered the another pair of astrologers called Antoine Garth and also Claire-France Perez, who have done some occupational on Valens’ lots, adhered to Schmidt and Hand in making use of phi together the symbol for the the majority of Spirit. So, evidently over there is already a little bit of a heritage behind this symbol over the previous 20 years, return the distinction here is the I’m trying to be a bit much more deliberate in making a details case for why i think that the letter phi must be used, and also I’m outlining the details parameters of the symbol because that others come adopt.
7) Evidently ϕ is frequently used to stand for the golden ratio in mathematical texts, and a number of other things. Offered Schmidt’s elevator in mathematics, i wondered if this wasn’t a contributing element in their using the letter for spirit. I tend to think that they were probably just using it together a placeholder in ~ that point though, because their beforehand translations were an alleged to be preliminary, and also since phi is regularly used in thoughtful texts to stand for some generic act.
8) There space two or three various other potential execution of the most Spirit glyph the have presented up in isolated places, although none of this have ever been commonly adopted, and also I would argue that the symbol I’m proposing is much more appropriate because that the factors outlined above. One of the symbols is a circle through two wavy lines listed below it, which remained in a 5th century horoscope the is questioned in an article by Deborah Houlding. Elsewhere, plunder Hand discussed to me that the 16th century astrologer Johannes Schoener has actually a glyph because that the the majority of Spirit in his text that “looks prefer the component of Fortune but with the external circle partly absent on the right-hand side.” Hand notes that he hasn’t viewed this prize used anywhere else. Finally, much more recently a collection of glyphs for all seven Hermetic too many was introduced by Curtis Manwaring as component of his Delphic Oracle software application program, and each lot has actually the glyph because that each world in the middle, v a circle and also a overcome in the middle in the background. Manwaring’s glyph because that the most Spirit climate is the symbol because that the sunlight with a circle and also a cross in the background. I actually prefer this collection of glyphs come a certain extent, and it is true that the Hellenistic astrologers seem come have linked each the the Hermetic lots v each of the seven planets. Ns think the the phi glyph that I’m proposing would certainly be a much better alternative for soul though because it is an ext in maintaining with the an ext widely offered glyph because that the most Fortune that many astrologers use today, i m sorry was depicted above. Additionally, the phi glyph places the focus of the lot less on the Sun and instead much more on the ide of irradiate in general, which i think is more in maintaining with the reason underlying the the majority of Spirit, if one reverses the calculation for day and also night charts.
See more: Any Friend Of Yours Is A Friend Of Mine, Friend Of Yours
There are probably some extr arguments that could be made, but those space really the core ones the I wanted to do for the function of this post. I look forward to hearing what people think.