Do GRE test scores really matter? Is her GRE score great enough to acquire you right into the grad college of your choice?

*

A"good" GRE score relies on the the programs you space considering. For comparison, the typical score for all GRE check takers is currentlya 150 because that Verbal and also a 152 for mathematics (Source: ETS). because the GRE general Test is offered for such a wide range of graduate college programs (including some organization schools!), the family member weight that is given will vary from field to field and from college to school. Study the colleges where you setup to use so that you can produce the best GRE prep plan for you!

Guide to GRE Scoring

You"ll obtain three GRE scores on her score report, one because that Quantitative thinking (math), one for verbal Reasoning, and one because that Analytical creating (the essays).

GRE Scores range


SectionScore Range
Verbal Reasoning130–170, in 1 point increments
Quantitative Reasoning130–170, in 1 allude increments
Analytical Writing0–6, in half point increments

Read More: average GRE Scores: exactly how Do her Scores Compare?


GRE Score Percentiles

Every GRE score has actually two components: a scaled score (i.e. 130–170) and a percentile rank. Her percentile rank is more important 보다 your scaled score. Her percentile rank indicates exactly how your GRE scores to compare to those of various other test takers. For example, a scaled verbal score of 150 on the GRE translates to roughly the 47 th percentile, definition that you scored much better than 47 percent of various other test takers—and worse than the other 53 percent of check takers. Right here are the most recent GRE percentile ranks, exit by ETS.

You are watching: Gre math subject test raw score conversion

The essays room scored a little differently 보다 the Verbal and also Quantitative sections. The equivalent percentiles space as follows:


ScoreAnalytical writing Percentile
6.099
5.598
5.093
4.582
4.059
3.542
3.017
2.57
2.02
1.51
1.0

In other words, a score the 5 top top the essay portion of the GRE method you performed far better than 93 percent of check takers.

What are good GRE scores because that MY goals?

The an initial step in figuring out how to prepare for the GRE is figuring out exactly how your scores will certainly be used. The only way to carry out that is to contact the programs to which you arrangement to apply. Here are some inquiries you need to be asking.

1. What GRE scores perform I should be accepted?

You require to have actually a target score so you can number out how much occupational you need to put in in between now and test day. If the school doesn’t have or won’t quote girlfriend a cutoff score, usage our grad school search and also business school search to discover out the median scores because that last year’s incoming class.

2. Will certainly you look at all components of my GRE score?

Some programs might care around your mathematics score, however not your linguistic score, and also vice versa. If a routine doesn’t care around your math or your essay score, then you know exactly where to put your prep time.


Read More: just how to examine for the GRE


3. Room GRE scores supplied for noþeles else?

If her scores will offered for food placement or for scholarship consideration, it would certainly be great to understand that now, while girlfriend still have actually time come prepare.

4. How crucial are mine GRE scores in regards to my entire application?

How lot weight a program areas on your score is oftena duty of just how competitive join to the program is. If that is a competitive program, every number will count.

5. What do you carry out with many GRE scores?

You can decide to take it the GRE a 2nd time. It would certainly be good to know, however, the prominence of that first score. If a school is walk to take your highest possible GRE score, climate you deserve to relax a little on check one, understanding that you have the right to take that again if you require to.

Other Grad institution Admission Factors

The reality is that great GRE scores are just one that the components that can influence your admission chances. Grad and also business colleges are looking for the totality package, including:

Standardized check scoresyour GPAundergraduate courseworkprofessional and hands-on experienceletters the recommendation

Find out exactly how your GRE scores will be provided so you have the right to craft the right application strategy for your dream school.

See more: Skyrim Ice Blade Of The Monarch, Spotlight On: Artifacts

How will you score?

Take a GRE practice test v us under the same problems as the real thing. You"ll acquire a personalized score report highlighting your strengths and areas that improvement.