You are watching: None of the above richard pryor
The media has actually all however disregarded the high level of disillusionment and disenchantment among America’s voters. So too have actually both the RNC and the DNC — specifically given the mounting evidence of democrats dissing voter behind closed emails. That time for at least one voter to perform something in response. Miscellaneous as big as what Richard Pryor’s character did in Brewster’s Millions three years ago. And since I’m writing this, the might also be me.
I have actually actually done this before. As soon as I voted in my very first presidential choice in 1988. After ~ eight year of the Reagan Revolution’s policies declining my household into welfare poverty, there was no way I can vote because that his angry president, George Herbert walker “Read mine Lips, No brand-new Taxes” Bush. ~ the clown-car democratic primaries that contained the race-smearing of Jesse Jackson Sen. Gary Hart’s (D-CO) affair through Donna Rice, Joe Biden’s speech plagiarism, and not-ready-for primetime players Rep. Richard Gephardt (D-MO), Al Gore, Joe Biden, et al., ns couldn’t poll for Michael Dukakis. Ns voted early and by absentee ballot, because I go to school at the university of Pittsburgh, however was still a new York State resident. And also I created in “Jesse Jackson.” In some ways, i knew more about America’s dirty politics at eighteen than I’ve prove by voting because that “the lesser of two evils” in so plenty of elections due to the fact that 1988.
It’s no that ns don’t recognize what’s at stake this time around. The GOP presidential nominee is a narcissistic plutocrat through fascist tendencies. Plainly whatever the autonomous nominee is, she is not as narcissistic or plutocratic, and not at all a fascist. But her background in sly triangulation, in lip-service to racial, gender, immigration, sex-related orientation, and social course inequalities and also discrimination goes earlier decades. If part of her qualifications include her eight years as first Lady, climate President wilhelm J. Clinton’s policies on mass incarceration, welfare reform, gaue won deregulation, and also trade deals outsourcing job are additionally her own. Two and also a fifty percent years ago, I wrote a blog outlining why I would likely have to put a clothespin end my nose to poll for the now autonomous nominee because that president.
Now, after much more lofty considerations native Princeton professor Eddie S. Glaude, Jr., ns am no longer holding come this setup of action. Together Glaude wrote, his “daddy, a gruff man who has actually lived all of his life on the coastline of Mississippi, taught
For the presidency, ns propose that Americans offer themselves a an option for November, one that has absolutely zero chance of winning. My number one alternative would it is in for countless Americans to vote “None of the Above” this fall. By digital ballot, absentee ballot, internet ballot, ~ above a urgently napkin, or ~ above an plane carrier. If americans truly want to send a article to the plutocrats in fee of us politics and also the mainstream media (whether FOX News, MSNBC, CNN, or the mainline networks), then vote, yet don’t vote for either Hillary or the Donald. Take this Donald’s advice and vote “None of the Above.”
But even I’m not sure if i’m comfortable v that approach. “None of the Above” is really an anti-everything vote. Part of me thinks the I and millions of others may need to vote for something or for someone. Again, this miscellaneous or who would have actually absolutely no possibility of success in this space-time continuum. The mechanism is already rigged.
To send a fingerprint message, below are some sample choices to think about:
1. Snoopy. Why not? he is cool, caring, and always looks the end for the small guy. Americans can be sure that he would assistance a minimum fairy of $15 or much more per hour, and also would press for single-payerhealthcare. Plus, after his imaginary experiences through the very first World War, americans would understand that the great beagle would discontinue this superpower’s preemptive battle policies.
Charlie Brown fooled by Lucy and also the football, again, October 30, 2011. (http://www.flickr.com).
2. Charlie Brown. he is a true underdog. An underdog v the presidency would be someone who cannot it is in bought by wall surface Street or K Street, NW (the latter’s DC lobbyists’ row, through the way). Here’s someone that would press through a $3-trillion, five-year, national infrastructural spending invoice in his first 100 job in office. And also after years of encountering football humiliation in ~ Lucy van Pelt’s hands, Americans might be sure that the NFL monopoly, brain-damage research, gun manage legislation, and also domestic violence issues would all be front-and-center in his administration.
On to an ext serious options:
Harriet Tubman portrait, 1895. (National Park service https://www.nps.gov). In publicly domain.
3. Harriet Tubman. Yes, she’s been dead for 103 years. But as a important independent-minded woman who was the ultimate symbol of defiance to enslavement in all its forms, she would’ve made a much better president than either the 2016 Republican or autonomous nominee. There’s likewise no doubt what Tubman would do about police violence towards Blacks and also Latinos or whereby she’d was standing on women’s rights. She would just keep going
4. Derrick Bell. additionally dead as of 2011 (may he RIP). Bell understood — much more than most of his Civil civil liberties Era partner — the symbolic and also incremental alters only serve to preserve the status quo. That a trickle that the poor and also Americans of color are able to suffer social mobility is the kernel of reality that envelopes the mythology that “anyone in America can make it.” the raw, nude truth around the persistence the American racism and also its intertwining with social class inequalities and policies would have made the a great candidate. Definitely Bell was better equipped to deal with what president Barack Obama has actually been both too afraid to say and also too unwilling (because the his conciliatory philosophy) to recognize in his press conferences and also so-called city halls ~ above race.
5. Lani Guinier. The vital race theorist and also constitutional legislation professor snubbed after ~ President bill Clinton’s initial nomination because that Assistant Attorney basic for Civil legal rights in 1993 should make anyone an admirer. Guinier has actually many strong views ~ above affirmative action, the national politics that marginalize delicate populations, and on the voting process itself. If anyone might represent an anti-establishment perspective and also proscribe radical revisionary policies, it would certainly be her.
Close-up of Rita Moreno in ~ 50th anniversary the West side Story celebration, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, Hollywood, CA, November 15, 2011. (John Ferguson via Wikipedia). Exit to windy domain via CC-SA-3.0.
6. Rita Moreno. simply because. And also The Electric Company.
7. Serena Williams. Jesse Williams. W. E. B. Du Bois. Eduardo Bonilla-Silva. James Baldwin. Sonia Maria Sotomayor. Beyoncé. all of them personal and/or jointly speak fact to power and can tear the cover off the ball when it pertains to discrimination and also inequalities. They’ve all exposed falsehoods and stand because that something that most Americans can not define: the liberty to be.
There room so countless others I could write under as potential write-ins for the chairman of the United claims slot come November. Persons who room my Twitter followers or my on facebook friends. People who represent beyond party and over an ideological checklist. Ns could absolutely write myself in. But that would be too much for them, and likely way too much for me.
See more: Half Price Books St. Louis Park, Mn Used & Rare Books, Half Price Books
Americans must do something. Together for me, when I’ll put my to trust in God, I additionally know what I ought to do. I need to vote, yet not for candidates who include so tiny of what I desire to check out in this country, now and also in the future. So, beyond “None of the Above,” Snoopy, Tubman, and also Sotomayor appeal to my politics consciousness much more so than what this solipsistic political procedure could ever before offer.